Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Plugin to Restore Preview Post in Write Post Form

There are at least two people in the world who definitely will appreciate the plugins I mention in this post, and that, I think is reason enough to write here. Prior to WordPress 2.1 here was a neat little “Preview” link to the Top Right of the Write Post form. Clicking on that took you straight to the bottom of the Write Post page where you could preview the post as it would appear on the site in an IFrame. 2.1 took that away from us, annoying many. So someone filed a bug, which is now marked as Fixed. The Fix in 2.2 has been to include a link in the same place as before, but which opens the post in a new window/tab. If that does not fix it for you, here’s a plugin that surely will. This adds back the IFrame.

Read about and download the Preview Frame plugin.

I apologize for not being able to try it before mentioning it, but please do let me know how well it works for you, if you choose to use it.

Update: You may need the Preview Post Navigation plugin to add the “Preview” link on top. This will work for WordPress 2.1.3. For 2.2 you will have to edit the Preview Frame plugin to add a line “<a name=”preview-post”/>” just above the IFRAME line in the plugin source to make the “Preview” link work. I would have made the change and re-released the plugin, but the original plugin does not specify the license it is released under, so I desist.

1. Thank you for linking this. If I’m one of only two people to appreciate this I would be shocked.

Comment by Mike — 5/23/2007 @ 6:30 pm

2. Thank You!

Comment by cyclingplatypus — 5/23/2007 @ 7:05 pm

3. No Mike, there were two other folks I had in mind when I wrote this :) You are very welcome, by the way.

Comment by Carthik — 5/23/2007 @ 7:36 pm

4. #4 (Mike + your 2). Thanks.

Comment by Derrich — 5/23/2007 @ 8:06 pm

5. Personally, I am thoroughly disgusted with the developers of Wordpress for removal of core functionality which ultimately accommodated one group, but was done so with what seems to be very little regard for the rest of us.

And now I, and others, are forced to rely on third party development to return functionality we have come to rely on. That is utterly ridiculous.

While this may be only one little instance, the fact is this is not the first time WordPress developers have ignored functionality. One need look no further than the blogroll/links manager merging combined with the deprecated tags that essentially broke who knows how many people’s site themes; or the fact nested static pages are “unlinked” and “lost” when moving from 2.0.x to 2.1.x.

And now this latest fiasco where actually useful functionality was entirely removed, and made to be plugin dependent by a third party developer (instead of rightfully making it an option to select between inline previews or new windows).

To say I am losing faith in the WordPress development team to not disrupt my business is pretty accurate — I no longer have the faith in the team I once had. And that’s sad because it is otherwise a wonderful product. But I am seriously starting to believe this may be a case of you get what you pay for and perhaps it is time to simply move on to a paid platform that takes people’s business a little more seriously.

I am extremely disappointed with Wordpress at this point.

Having said all that, thanks for the plugin. It’s nice to know there are people out there who are willing to return return functionality to a product whose development team apparently disregards portions of its userbase.

Comment by Nostram — 5/23/2007 @ 9:39 pm

6. As one of those 2 folks out there who Carthik created this plugin for, I say–hat’s off to him. Like Nostram, I wish the developers had left this feature in. I guess they just figure that everyone’s using the WYSIWYG editor & doesn’t need it. Except that not everyone IS.

Let’s ‘plug’ this plugin over at the support forum. Others will find it as useful as we do.

Comment by Richard Silverstein — 5/24/2007 @ 12:33 am

7. It was a pain for a large number of users as it slowed down the write post screen immensely and didn’t handle long permalinks, etc., particularly well. The upsides to the decision are listed in this wp-hackers post. If you want to follow the whole wp-hackers reaction thread, it starts here. Not to minimize your reactions, but I think it’s a bit of an overreaction to consider dumping WP simply because your preview opens in a new window instead of an iframe.

Comment by Doug Stewart — 5/24/2007 @ 1:14 am

8. The ticket discussing this change is here and the changeset that implemented it here, for those that are interested.

I think the thinking was that it’s such a minor UI element and it causes such dramatic slowdown that it was a no-brainer to remove the iframe in favor of a popup.

It’s funny how different users have very different UI priorities…

Comment by Doug Stewart — 5/24/2007 @ 1:18 am

9. I know why they changed it, but they did it the wrong way. People should be allowed to choose what kind of preview they want. The draft autosave feature is not configurable in the core and should be as well.

Comment by RT Cunningham — 5/24/2007 @ 2:17 am

10. thanks – thanks a lot

Comment by ajay — 5/24/2007 @ 3:20 am

11. Thank you very much for that plugin link. I’ve been missing the preview quit a lot.

Comment by Stefan David — 5/24/2007 @ 4:28 am

12. I am not sure what to think about it. Perhaps it is just that I liked the previous feature better because it was tradition and that it suddenly changed. It will takes some time to get used to, but I think that I like the new standard better.

Comment by Moridin — 5/24/2007 @ 5:16 am

13. I’m happy to see this. I don’t seem to have a preview link (using 2.2). Am I blind?

Comment by Eats Wombats — 5/24/2007 @ 5:32 am

14. Brilliant – thank you. I was missing that function a lot.

Comment by Ben — 5/24/2007 @ 6:23 am

15. Hehehe…my father thanks you!! :)

Comment by Mark — 5/24/2007 @ 7:00 am

16. Here’s the great thing about open source software, though, that you all are neglecting: you can participate in the development and testing process! Submit tickets on Trac, ask for feature requests on Ideas or Kvetching, make contact with the actual developers. Make your case for restoration of the old way in a Trac ticket — if it’s compelling enough, you might actually get traction and get an option put back in.

I guess my point is: don’t whine or gripe, contribute!

Comment by Doug Stewart — 5/24/2007 @ 7:13 am

17. Thank you very much for this plugin! The lack of an inline preview is just one of the reasons why I have not yet upgraded my cooking website to 2.2.x (along with botched up Code View, the links manager issue mentioned by Nostram, etc). Hopefully some of the other issues will be addressed so that I can safely upgrade without breaking my site.

Comment by Andrea — 5/24/2007 @ 7:17 am

18. A great plugin, thanks.

Comment by Joatp Blog — 5/24/2007 @ 9:44 am

19. [...] wordlog.com – Plugin to Restore Preview Post in Write Post Form Azzerare la noiosa modifica della versione 2.2 (tags: wordpress) [...]

Pingback by links for 2007-05-24 « Il blog di lucacicca — 5/24/2007 @ 2:19 pm

20. [...] Wordlog: Plugin to Restore Preview Post in Write Post Form [...]

Pingback by Wordpress Links zum 25.05.07 at ogeeBloggin’ — 5/24/2007 @ 7:49 pm

21. Actually, the new preview link is not in the same place as the old one. If it were, perhaps it would not have taken me two hours of re-uploading files, hacking, forum scouring and finally finding one little line in a post, to find it.

Comment by skarld — 5/25/2007 @ 9:14 pm

22. [...] Plugin to Restore Preview Post in Write Post Form – Wordlog [...]

Pingback by MyVeryOwnNerd Blog » This is My Second Post — 5/29/2007 @ 4:50 am

23. I FAR prefer the new method. The editor loads immediately after clicking save and continue…… I need only refresh the new tab to check my changes!!

Before it was way too slow!!

However, this nifty little plugin, which I have tried with Wordpress 2.2 works quite nicely for those who don’t like the new method….

So, to each his/her/their own….

Comment by John — 5/29/2007 @ 12:48 pm

24. [...] Major Disappointment with the Removal of Post Preview: There has been a lot of complaints about the removal of the long desired Write Post Preview, the ability to see your blog post as it looks in your WordPress Theme before it is published. The Preview Frame Wordpress Plugin is now available to help you put it back in. For more on the issue, see Quick Online Tips – How to Get Post Preview Frame Back in Wordpress 2.2 and Wordlog – Plugin to Restore Preview Post in Write Post Form. [...]

Pingback by WordPress Wednesday News: Two Exciting WordPress Competitions, Lots of WordPress Plugins News, Hot Blogs Moving to WordPress, and Andy Skelton Riding a Motorcycle to WordCamp : The Blog Herald — 6/13/2007 @ 5:01 pm

25. [...] WordPress Plugins for Restoring Post Preview: There has been a lot of complaints about the removal of the long desired Write Post Preview, the ability to see your blog post as it looks in your WordPress Theme before it is published. The Preview Frame Wordpress Plugin is now available to help you put it back in. For more on the issue, see Quick Online Tips – How to Get Post Preview Frame Back in Wordpress 2.2 and Wordlog – Plugin to Restore Preview Post in Write Post Form. [...]

Pingback by WordPress Wednesday News: Webware 100 Winner, Plugins and Sandbox Theme Contest Rocks, WordCamp Count Down, and a Backwoods Search for WordPress Schwag : The Blog Herald — 6/19/2007 @ 8:27 am

26. [...] Roblog Wordlog [...]

Pingback by Nuudelisoppa » I want the iframe back: a post preview plugin for Wordpress — 7/22/2007 @ 1:21 pm

27. [...] Post Preview back into your WordPress Write Post Panel with the Preview Frame Wordpress Plugin or Wordlog Restore Post Preview WordPress Plugin. Quick Online Tips offers more on how to put the Post Preview back in [...]

Pingback by WordPress Tips: Previewing Your Post in WordPress « Lorelle on WordPress — 9/22/2007 @ 7:44 am