Sunday, June 12, 2005

Now in google

June 11th was the first time I noticed WordLog in google’s search results. After soliciting your help, I had written an email to the folks at google, with the subject “Inclusion request”, since it was not really a re-inclusion, having never been included in the first place. This would have been pretty much the last one I would have written, and this time, some kind soul read it and forwarded it to the technical support folks, who then should have sent the bot this way.

Thanks to all of my readers who had helpful tips and leads. I followed through on most of the tips, almost superstitiously. Enough time wasted on the sidelines. I thought I owed this note of thanks to all readers, despite being in a situation that feels like working at a startup, I’m told.

1. Congrats!

Comment by Matt — 6/12/2005 @ 8:01 pm

2. Well done- we were all rooting for you. This is one fairy tale ending:)

Comment by Devan — 6/12/2005 @ 9:48 pm

3. Glad to hear you’re getting indexed now. Were they able to give you any sort of reason for the site not being indexed in the first place?

Comment by tyler — 6/12/2005 @ 10:21 pm

4. The trick for quicker service, get yourself in DMOZ. Were you there before?

Comment by skebrown — 6/12/2005 @ 10:31 pm

5. Yay! I was happy when Alexa finally picked up my website. :) Now you might get a pagerank really quickly. :)

Comment by Shane — 6/12/2005 @ 10:37 pm

6. Congratulations!

I’ve been watching your predicament with a great deal of interest because I’m experiencing the same problem with a site I’m running, and I’ve had no success by submitting a reinclusion request through the feedback form. I haven’t even received a response.

How did you submit the request that finally wound up being successful? Did you ever get any feedback from an actual human being — and is there a way to reach actual human beings at Google? Do they have any sort of process for the rest of us who are stuck to get ourselves reincluded? I know that’s a lot of questions, but you’ve given me new hope — yet I feel just as unsure what to do as ever.

Comment by Mike — 6/12/2005 @ 10:55 pm

7. Yay! Congratulations :) Hopefully the pagerank will start to flow quickly now, though I’ve been noticing some oddities with it in the past few days, larger sites losing PR whilst smaller ones gaining an obscene amount of it!

Comment by Arvind — 6/12/2005 @ 10:56 pm

8. tyler, you should read the earlier request for help I wrote, that is also linked to from this post for details.

skebrown, yes, it has been listed at dmoz.org for quite a few months now.

Mike,
    I had linked to the comment someone left that suggested I write to google seeking reinclusion, and I followed that, only changing the subject of the email to “inclusion request” instead of “reinclusion request”. The reply seemed to have been typed by a human, to the effect that he will forward the request to a technical guy.

Comment by Carthik — 6/13/2005 @ 12:46 am

9. w00t! Congrats on the inclusion.

Comment by Indranil — 6/13/2005 @ 10:19 am

10. Excellent news, glad to see you’ve finally made it. With a bit of luck you’ll actually get some PageRank soon :)

(Wordlog has been in DMOZ since late September 2004, by the way)

Comment by Neil T. — 6/13/2005 @ 12:19 pm

11. [...] I Pass Out… Filed under: General — goneaway @ 12:28 am Some things: Wordlog is finally included in Google despite the intentions of Google editorial staff to m [...]

Pingback by Team Murder » Before I Pass Out… — 6/18/2005 @ 3:29 am