Friday, September 17, 2004

MultiUsers Smarty WordPress and blogs.linux.ie

blogs.linux.ie has this message today:

We’re moving to WordPress today. Please bear with us while the site is down. For updates, please look at Holy Shmoly.

The service is run by Donncha O Caoimh, one of WordPress’ contributing developers. The blogs used to run on another b2 fork.

So why did they switch over now? It’s because the forthcoming release of WordPress may have support for the Smarty Templating Engine. The version of WP used to run the service is called WordPress μ , where μ (MU) stands for Multi User. Hopefully, it will soon be available to the public.

Interesting developments, and to think it would have gone unnoticed!

1. Yeah that website really isn’t public or working yet. :-p

Comment by Matt — 9/18/2004 @ 3:00 am

2. I have updated the post to reflect that. I tried downloading from that site, only to get an empty .zip file. Thanks for the note, Matt.

Comment by Carthik — 9/18/2004 @ 3:08 am

3. I should have a first tentative and *very* rough release ready in a day or so. It won’t be easy to install. It won’t have any magical web based configurator, but it will have a readme.txt that tells you what to do :)

Comment by Donncha — 9/18/2004 @ 4:21 pm

4. I would be glad to give it a shot. There’s some 1GB of space on my server that I could use to host some WP blogs for free, much like you do.

Comment by Carthik — 9/18/2004 @ 4:58 pm

5. Donncha says it won’t be easy to install. He must have made some big changes then in the last few weeks! I’m running wordpress with Donncha’s Smarty patch on top, and it wasn’t all tha difficult to install.
    Give it a shot – it may be very useful on busy sites!

Comment by Kae — 9/19/2004 @ 6:51 pm

6. I’ve changed my mind! Donncha sent me some more recent patches, which I applied to a nightly build of wordpress – there was, indeed, complexity!
    The benefits, though, are well worth it – smarty caching is great for slow lines or busy sites, and the patches seem geared towards multi-user sites.

Comment by Kae — 9/20/2004 @ 2:43 pm

7. Howdy, does anyone here think they would like to explain the benefits of Smarty as it would apply to Wordpress? I’d like to know but don’t have time to research it myself.

Comment by ST — 9/21/2004 @ 2:05 pm