Friday, August 20, 2004

Same Old Styles, Better Behavior

Filed under: — Carthik @ 12:27 am

Stuart at the Bombsite provides reworked versions of the AlexKing Styles.

The modified styles come with an accompanying modified index.php and fix the problem where, when the menu section is longer than the content section, the footer section does not behave as expected. To see what I am talking about, see this example – scroll down to see the problem where the menu spills over, below the footer.

The improved design comes with screenshot previews. Take your pick.

It would be useful if the exact changes that needed to be made to index.php were outlined clearly, so that users who have already modified index.php can edit it, instead of getting this new index.php and adding their customizations one by one.

1. [...] t of software, make it a parent heading, and give it children such as design, tec, etc.) Via Wordlog. There is a problem, it seems, the the CSS hooks provided in the index.php file. It causes almost a [...]

Pingback by All Day Permanent Red » Fix for Index.php — 8/22/2004 @ 6:52 pm

2. Can anyone with good CSS knowledge please tell us the differences in the improved design, so that we can modify our own files manually? I have a heavily hacked index.php and I don’t want to hack it all over again.

Comment by Sunny — 8/20/2004 @ 2:26 am

3. I am sure someone will look into this.

Comment by Carthik — 8/20/2004 @ 2:47 am

4. I was considering doing a separate page on the principals behind the fixes. It might be a good idea and explaining things here will be a little long-winded. I’ll post on the Forum when it’s up. In the meantime let me first say that I am no expert with the “fixed-width” style so what I know applies only to fluid designs though I suspect it could be adapted. It’s mostly down to “clearing”. You can always check out Root’s at the 404. Whilst I understand your problem having a hacked index file (I’m dreading version 1.3 myself) you could download one of the layouts and check the extra divs and CSS against your current design or you could look at my Bomb Site CSS which is well annotated though you should remember this is a “site-wide” CSS and contains a lot of “non-WP” stuff. It does contain the “faux-columns” method though so you may find it educational.

Comment by Stuart — 8/20/2004 @ 8:29 am

5. OK. My tutorial is up and running. Same link.

Comment by Stuart — 8/20/2004 @ 10:43 pm

6. http://www.ComponentSoftware.com offers CSdiff, a great, free file comparison util. Here’s a blurb..
    ComponentSoftware Diff (CSDiff) is a free, advanced file-difference analysis tool for Microsoft Windows. CSDiff is a great asset to anyone in need of analyzing changes which have been made between two revisions of the same file or folder. CSDiff is commonly used when analyzing program source files, HTML documents and MS-Word documents.

Great for just this case.

Comment by GS — 1/27/2005 @ 12:55 pm